Saturday, May 4, 2013

[Interview] Elles de Graaf: Me and The Person on Stage

Elles de Graaf is regarded as THE female vocalist in trance music due to her powerful and unique voice. After collaborations with Armin van Buuren (“The Sound of Goodbye”), Bobina (“Lighthouse”), Blank & Jones (“Mind of the Wonderful”), Ferry Corsten (“Show You My World”) or Marcel Woods (“Can’t Sleep”) she can really say that she has worked with the who-is-who of the scene. Besides singing, there are two other things she is passionate about: dancing and choreographing. So it was no surprise that she was part of Armin van Buuren’s world tour “Imagine”.


Photo: Elles de Graaf

For the second episode of my radio show “The Magic Flight” (June 2012) I did an interview with her talking about her shows and her first contact with Armin van Buuren.



If you would have to wrap up your career: How would you describe it?

My career has been about dancing. I did ballet school and musical school, so I was dancing, singing and acting. Then I started singing in trance music. But I don’t dance anymore because I reached a certain age. Nevertheless I am a choreographer and I have a few shows running in Holland at the moment: dinner shows and cabaret shows. And I love doing that because it is my passion to work in entertainment. Also when I was touring with Armin in 2008, it was amazing to be at all those different places of the world. And it was a dream for me to combine dancing and singing. Of course, it also gives you a boost in your career to work with Armin.

Your breakthrough in the dance scene was “Sound of Goodbye”. What is it like to work with Armin?

My producers are Raz Nitzan and Adrian Broekhuyse and they started the whole thing. It was a coincidence to work with them and Armin because Armin was not very well known at that time. When I first met him, he was like “let’s try a new project”. At this point I didn’t know anything about him, he was just a guy for me. Later on his music career really exploded in a sense as all the success came. 
One interesting thing to mention is that he is one of the few people I worked with in person. Nowadays everything goes via the internet. So there are a lot of producers I’m working with who I’ve never really met. 
When I look back now there are a lot of producers I worked with like Blank & Jones or Ferry Corsten. And I have to mention that I love to collaborate with Bobina from Russia. 

Your album “Trance Classics EP” features your interpretations of various famous songs. Is this album also a collection of your favorite tracks somehow?

I do love the songs, but it was not my choice. We have to look what fits my style and voice. For me the most important thing is that I’m able to express my emotions within the songs. All in all, I think we have done a really nice mixture.

Honestly I haven’t heard all of the songs yet. But my favorite so far is “Fallen” which is by Sarah McLachlan in the original.

I love “Tears from the Moon” (original by Sinead O’Connor) a lot which works really good on stage. I have tested it already in a few countries. Especially covers work really great on stage. Nevertheless, there are non-cover-songs like “Mind of the Wonderful” which also work great on stage.

“Mind of the Wonderful” was the song where I first stumbled upon your name because it contained in the title as the featured singer. I think this is good practice because the singer is also a part of the project – it’s not only the producers…

Yes, I totally agree. I think it’s good that vocalists are “fighting” for their names to be included in the title as well because nowadays it’s all about the DJs. They are the big stars. 

What’s your favorite song that you sung so far?

“Show You my World” by Ferry Corsten. I love that one! It’s like being in another world when I sing it. And although it may sound a little cheesy, I love “The Sound of Goodbye” because there is so much emotion in there.

Yes. That is what trance is about: It’s all about emotion…

Yeah! And I love to be a little bit crazy when expressing those emotions. 

Do you know the German word “Rampensau”? It perfectly describes this kind of character of a person who loves being on stage and celebrating every performance because she or he needs it like other people need oxygen to breathe. You think that might fit to you?

Yes, in a way. (She laughs) It’s a habit from early age. It all goes back to when I was six years old. My whole family seems to be in the music biz. For instance, my nephew is the most famous artist in Holland. You know, the funny thing is that sometimes I’m shy in real life, but when I’m on stage I’m a totally different person because I can do anything I want. Sometimes you just need attention. 

I think everybody needs a world where he or she can escape from everyday life – also to relax.

Indeed, that’s it. It is a way of relaxing and doing something else than your daily life. I think the secret is that you are only thinking about now – the moment of your performance. You don’t think about yesterday or tomorrow. To share that moment with the audience and to have an amazing time is like you said being a “Rampensau”. (She laughs again)

Maybe this question might be a difficult one for you: What do you like more – singing or dancing?

That’s a hard one. I needed both. But I started my life as a dancer and can’t breathe if I’m not moving my body. I’m very, very sorry – but I have to go with dancing. You know what: Dancing made everything possible. Meeting all the producers in the first place. 

What is your favorite singer?

I love Susana! She has a strong voice with a different sound. I also like Ana Criado who has a more angel-like voice. I like to listen to their songs.

You started your own agency for shows and choreographies. How did that come about?

Well, I already did the work in other countries. So I came back to Holland and asked myself: What can I do as another step in my life? I already did all the things I love. But I wanted to do that in Holland as well.

There are some facts to be found on your website, one being an interesting story you had during a radio show in New York…

Yeah, this was totally crazy. It was back in the days in 2001. I was touring and did some shows in New York. And then I was invited to a radio station. During that time I really loved rap music and especially Jay-Z. They asked me about that issue. I knew a few texts, so I started to rap during the broadcast. My producer was laughing. He said: Why did you do that? We’re on an interview for a TRANCE radio! But really everyone was laughing, it was too funny. I promoted the trance music anyway… (She laughs)

More information about Elles de Graaf can be found on www.ellesdegraaf.nethttp://www.facebook.com/ellesdegraafvocalist and www.facebook.com/pages/Dance-Holland/116640415090699


No comments:

Post a Comment